A number of studies have shown that people infected with Mycobacterium tuberculosis (mTB) bacteria have a lower incidence of asthma and allergy. In order to survive within the human body mTB has evolved to switch off immuno-inflammatory processes by reducing the body’s natural immune responses of inflammation and hypersensitivity, without detrimental effects on the human host. Peptinnovate’s patented technology utilises that in-built efficacy and safety profile.
1. When inhaled by humans, the mTB bacteria enter the body and travel down the respiratory system into the lungs.
2. Here the human alveolar macrophage cells take up the bacteria.
3. A granuloma (ball of cells) is formed of the bacteria and human immune cells.
4. The bacteria secrete proteins outside of the granuloma which have been shown to have anti-inflammatory and immune-modulatory properties
5. Through multiple mechanisms the modification of the immune system has be shown to reduce the incidence of asthma and other immuno-inflammatory diseases.
6. Peptinnovate has identified the precise peptides that are responsible for the modification of the human immune system.
7. Our lead molecule PIN201104 has been shown to be active in multiple models of disease modification and is in clinical studies.